I was assessing my first real client as I was working with her and I decided I was lucky having her -she was kind and easy to work with. After just 2 weeks of collaboration, disaster struck. She had a personal crisis so we have to postpone our project tentatively. She assured me that she had already sent my paycheck. Weeks passed by and the check never came so I naturally started to suspect a scam which I already have experienced. My dilemma was that it would seem unethical to inquire about my pay when she's in a crisis -if she indeed has one. So I let a month pass before I asked again for the check. She checked her cash-transfer service and assured me again that the check is coming. After one week, I decided to tell her that 'I will have to write about this if I didn't get my check within a week.' Now I will also know if the gig was a scam or not. But this was a gamble too if she doesn't understand my position or what I'm doing.
She seemed surprised and answered that she didn't know the check wasn't send by her cash-transfer service. Then she insisted that we use PayPal which wasn't in our agreement. I just agreed so I could finally get my pay. When I accidentally overestimated my asking pay, she finally raised her voice and made counter-threats and insisted on an amount as my pay which seemed fair enough.
My new dilemma was that there was still a possibility that our project could resume IF I didn't fight with her of course so I just agreed again. With some effort, I succeeded to refresh our friendship. And at least I had victory earning my first freelancing pay.
I wonder if life would ever let me have any good start. I don't seem to remember any.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments that contain only links with no personal message will probably be considered spam